If your home sports any of these looks, it may be time for a change. Read on for how-to's and Amazon products to make your home look up-to-date and beautiful!
3. Golden Oak Kitchens: Beige, brown, and golden-oak were oh-so-popular in the 90s but now feel a bit overbearing. Rather than keeping finishes from decades past, make your kitchen current with light-colored cabinets, countertops, and updated fixtures and appliances to match.
4. Builder Grade Fireplaces: While this simple fireplace appears somewhat stylish, it was a look that was SO popular and used in many track homes, but now looks dated. Upgrade the face of your fireplace with a new mantel or tile surround. This will give it a fresh, custom look instead of the "mantel of the masses" look seen here.
5. Worn Out Phrases: At first, they were charming. But now, some phrases have simply been used too much! Rather than go down the well-traveled "LIVE, LAUGH, LOVE" path, select phrases that are personal, sincere or applicable. Handmade signs with phrases near and dear to your heart, such as wedding vows, can provide tasteful decor in your home.
6. Bar-Height Counter Tops: This bar-height counter top closes off the kitchen and makes it feel dark and dingy. Smooth things out by giving the kitchen a fresh coat of paint and removing the high-top peninsula counter that no one wants to use. Extend the bar counter at the same height as the perimeter tops and add counter-height stools to make a welcoming dining bar. While you're at it, remove cabinets above the peninsula to achieve the now-popular light, bright, and open kitchen look.
7. Heavy Floral Drapes: Ditch those dark burgundy, floral-print curtains of the 90s. Heavy drapes are a fad of the past and it’s easy to see how they instantly age a space, distracting from all of the natural light that streams into this great room. Take off years with floor-length, light-hued varieties hung high and wide to allow sunlight to stream into your space with ease.
8. Dark Doors and Trim : Not only does the dark color of the louvered doors in the before photo look dingy, dark stained wood closes off any room. To make a space light and bright, fresh and new feeling, paint dark doors and trim.
** Designer Tip: Painted doors and trim are HOT!! See how I applied the trend in my home and why I think you should consider it in yours!
9. Peachy Paint: The 90s called and they want their peach paint back! As one of the least expensive things you can do to update your home quickly, rid it of dated paint colors. Paint over your peach and tan walls that were extremely popular 20 years ago with white, beige, or gray. There are thousands of options and if you're not sure which paint color will be right in your home, get my input with an online paint consult.
Up-To-Date Decor for Any Home