Give your home maximum appeal if it's on the market this season plus my favorite holiday decor for your home.
The holidays can be personal on a lot of levels, so if your home is on the market now, it's important to make sure your decor is neutral. You can still have fun decorating, just keep these simple tips in mind:
- Declutter first: Before you decorate, remove extra furniture and clear clutter. If your living room is already piled high with stuff, Christmas decor is only going to add to the sense of overcrowding.
- Create a cozy vibe: A few subtle touches like a bowl of pinecones, an evergreen wreath, or a pot of cider simmering on the stove can create a warm and festive feeling in your home.
- Complement your palette: Make sure your holiday collection matches your current decor. If your living room is painted soothing ocean-blue, skip the clashing red garland and opt for a white and silver theme instead. If you’ve got an earthy color scheme, accent with rich tones like cranberries, forest greens and gold.
- Highlight the positive: Too many trimmings can distract buyers, but the right accessories can draw attention to your home’s best features. Hang mistletoe in an arched doorway or display your menorah on the ledge of a bay window to add to your home's charm.
- Go light on lights: One man’s “merry” is another man’s “tacky,” so tone down light displays while your home is on the market. Use simple string lighting to play up your home’s architecture or draw attention to pretty trees in your front yard.
- Keep it neutral: To attract the widest range of buyers, keep neutrality throughout the home. Decorating with items like wreaths or nutcrackers won't put you at risk of offending any specific type of buyer.
- Mind the tree: A tall Christmas tree can help show off your two-story great room, but make sure the wide base won’t overwhelm the floor area. If your living area is on the small side, save space with a skinny or table-top tree. Swap bright, bold ornaments for simple silver, gold or white decor.
If you want to be confident of a fast, top-dollar sale, I can show you how to make that happen. Go HERE to get a custom Staging Checklist that will help you clear clutter, stage like a pro, and attract buyers. (With a smartphone video call, I'm at your fingertips!)
Favorite Holiday Decor: